Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

I'm not posting food today. Today has been dedicated to my mother and grandmother.
My mother has stood by my side and encouraged me and helped me through this recovery. She never turned her back or gave up hope on me when I had long since begun to feel that this disease would bring my untimely end. Even in our fights (god knows there were lots) she always forgave me for letting anorexia take hold, and she always apologized for the things she said and did (won't get into that now - its mother's day). She is one of the strongest and bravest women I know, and she has had to deal with so,so much. She has put up with more than you can imagine over these years. She is amazing and that's really all I can say. I feel so lucky to have her as my mother, and allie.

My grandmother - she never forgets a birthday or anniversary, and while she doesn't have much money, she always manages to send the most beautiful cards she can find. She is a strong woman, must be where my mom gets it from. She raised nine children on her own (my mom is the oldest), learned to drive when she was 45 years old - women didn't drive when she was young and it was unheard of in the 60's or 70's for a woman that age to start learning. She worked a lot to provide for her family as best she could. And while she may not know much about anorexia, she has tried to provide for me as well. She has made me irreplacable afghans and even has attempted to teach me to crochet to help me stay calm and keep my mind off non-ED related things. Today, she asked me what I weighed (she hasn't seen in me in nearly a month) I told her. Her face lit up. "You may not really look it, but I am SO happy. Victoria, you have made my Mother's Day perfect." And of course she had to hug me. And I felt good. See how grammas have that effect? Even when you feel bad or uncomfortable with yourself - make your grandparent and smile and I guarantee you'll feel better about it. Because the love is unconditional and even ED can't tamper with it in those moments.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Just to let you know that Ive been reading your blog.

    You are a brave girl. And all that you've posted has encouraged me ALOT. Keep going Tori, we will win ed. :)

    rachel, Sg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mothers truly are wonderful things. You are lucky to have spent the day with your mom and grandma - my mom is 1200 miles away, and I miss her quite a bit. My grandma passed away in September, but she still has a very special place in my heart.

    This was a lovely, introspective, and sweet post. Thank you.

    Loves,

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori this is such a sweet post...I'm so glad you got to surround yourself with your mom's and grandma's love this weekend!

    ReplyDelete