Friday, December 11, 2009

Creativity Strikes Again!

You know, for the longest time, I was really stuck in a rut. I think going back to school AND starting a job AND having a boyfriend (plus many other suitors) was really stressing me out. And the only way I could ensure that my former coping mechanisms wouldn't take hold was to generally eat the same exact things day in and day out, except for the occasions I went out to eat with Dan or bought a frozen dinner at work. It was rather boring, and that is a lot of why you haven't seen many foodie posts from me. I was too busy doing other things to really care much about getting variety in my diet or making up new recipes. Given the exorbitant amount of calories I need to consume in a day, it became easier for me to generally stick with mainly the same few things for breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners. It wasn't very exciting and I was getting to the point where I was sick of it.

However! I believe I am finally adjusting to all of the other newness in my life and now! I am back to making awesome food. In the past few weeks, I have gotten my creativity back and have been enjoying many lovely concoctions. From peach-strawberry milkshakes to pasta with olive oil, capers cheese and sundried tomatoes (yum!). Last night I made the most amazing (but semi-healthy!) chocolate mousse dessert for a snack when I go home from work. Unfortunately, girl was starvin' and didn't even think of taking a picture to share with y'all. However, it was definitely something I'd have again so when I do, I will post that shizzy up.


Today's magic creation:

Yogurt Honey Crunch Smoothie (in a bowl!)

To make: Take one plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani cuz I'm a starving artist and cannot pass up a 10 for 10 deal) and blend with 1/2 c. milk of choice (I used vanilla soy), 1/5th firm tofu, a good drizzle of honey and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl, top with cereal of choice (I used Kashi GLC). Nuke in microwave for about half a minute to take the chill off if you live up here in New England. Then add a sliced banana, coconut flakes, cinnamon raisin PB and slivered almonds.

What's really neat is that the blended tofu/yogurt gets really soft and fluffy when you blend and microwave it. It gets to an almost whipped cream consistancy, and just perfectly sweetened by the vanilla soy milk and honey.

I hope everyone has been having a good week. I've been super busy (final projects for sculpture, math exams, workin 32+ hours a week AND making time for boy and friends? zomg!) over my break though, I intend on catching up with every single one of you beautiful ladies (and of course handsome Clay) and being a better friend to you all. I really feel badly, because I don't want anyone to think I haven't been thinkin' bout them or just being neglectful. I don't mean to be, I've just been really busy. If you've ever read anything I've ever written on here or to any one - you know that when I have something to say, I say a lot. (tsk tsk! I'm a big mouth) so because of my inability to write in condensed form, I haven't really felt that I've had enough time to really sit down and give everyone the appropriate attention they truly deserve. I hope you can forgive me.
Now yours truly is going out to IHOP with boy for second breakfast, and then jetting off to work for the rest of the day/night. Good times for sure.

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear all of this! Way to go girl, again: I love your attitude and I think it's great you found the 'space' in your life to add some variety to your eats. You're doing great:)

    xxx Julia (Taste of Living)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh tori! loved reading this post! and so great to hear from u...i do miss ur (long) comments hehe lol..but i know you are so busy lIVING LIFE!!!and that my friend is wonderful ;)

    u are tooo giving/sweet and caring, always! love u! really i was talking with eliza a few days ago, about how much u have helped us...and i wish there was some way i could thank you! really i would love to send u something ubbberrr special...you have been the most helpful, supportive, givin my ed a reality check in the past, so many time like in the spring, i would come home and read ur comment on my post and then eat more that day and try not to slip...etc. :) so many times i recall.

    and that breekie looks amazing! IHOP fun!fun! u are too cute! chocolate mousse was like my fave pre ed! i should find a recipe :) or if u post urs ? :)

    love you a million jars of PB ;)

    xo
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  3. great to hear from you! and don't feel bad for not posting as often--that just means you're finding joy in life and are truly LIVING it! props to you, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tori! I haven't commented in a while so it's about time! I'm so happy to hear you're doing well and have been able to balance out so many things in your life. Sheesh, how do you do it?! I think one day you're going to come out and say that the tats are just your version of Clark Kent's glasses and underneath you're actually superwoman hehe.
    I've been really into throwing a bunch of random ingredients together lately too and have been getting good results. I also got a bread maker, OMG YUM!
    Hope the boy is treating you well and have fun at IHOP!
    (ps I've been called a hobbit many times too :p)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your back and out of your food rut! Ive been in one too lately, lets hope i can break out of it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative!!!

    New music, food, fitness + giveaways - http://katiechangesforkatie.blogspot.com/2009/12/mia-photo-update-new-contest-happy.html

    Have a good day!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two things,
    1) The fact that you called me handsome almost makes me want to cast myself as the new joker since my smile is so big. Honestly, coming from someone as beautiful as yourself is a definite compliment... expecially when times are hard.
    2) STOP GOING TO IHOP, i will not have you settle for sub par cakes. Im coming to Connecticut and taking you to this place: http://www.bickfordsrestaurants.com/index.asp, and there is nothing you can do about it!

    unless IHOP has the all you can eat things again, in which case were going there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum... I'm so happy I decided to read your post before going to make a snack, cuz now I know what I'm having for sure! (the banana/yogurt combo!!!)

    Keep up all the awesome work, and have fun at IHOP! There holiday cakes look incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I'm always waiting for the talkative Tori again, but you just enjoy your life! It's GREAT that you are busy and happy with life...
    Hope you enjoyed them IHOP pancakes! Clay, stop hating, IHOP pancakes are good! lol.

    ReplyDelete