Monday, February 8, 2010

Explosion.

Some of you may know this, most of you probably don't. But my father is a construction worker. He's been working at a power plant in Middletown here in CT.
Yesterday morning, there was a gas explosion at his construction site that left 5 people dead and dozens wounded.
I was at work all day yesterday. When I walked in the door, my mother informed me of the accident. My father was safe, fortunately. But he is now going to be unemployed for an undetermined amount of time - he may not be going back to work. At all.

This is not the first time there has been a grave accident on the job. My father is thinking about retiring early. I'm not sure what this means for me in terms of work and school. I may have to pick up a second job this summer. I can do a full two years at the community college, but I'll still need to pay for another 2 years at a university. I'm realizing now that I need to pick up the pieces faster, get myself together sooner. I need to be prepared to take care of myself in all ways - financially, emotionally, physically - within the next few months. This amount of responsibility is a bit frightening. I knew that this day was going to come. I just didn't expect it to come under these kind of circumstances, and without much warning.

I can do this. And so, I will.

12 comments:

  1. I heard about this...and I'm terribly sorry about everything that happened, however your father is incredibly lucky to have both his health and his life. I know the next few months/years are going to be challenging, but you got this! If there is anyone who can handle this, it's definitely you. You've got the strength, the perseverance, and the willpower.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your blog for a while now but I'm pretty sure I've never commented. You're such a strong and amazing woman!
    I heard about the explosion on the news. Thank goodness your father is safe and healthy! I'm so sorry about his job though. This is a really tough time to lose a job because of the current market conditions. I hope everything works out for the best and know that everyone is here to support you however you need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this! Even heard it on the news here in Europe...

    Lots of strength for your family and you. I know you will do great with this challenge, because you're so strong!

    xxx Julia (Taste of Living)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god. i didn't realize your dad worked at that site, how scary. so relieved that he is ok but i understand your anxieties about how things will be in the future if he decides to retire early. hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my thoughts are with you and your family, and i am glad your dad is safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, so awesome that your dad is safe. Maybe this responsibility will really push you towards full recovery, I hope so! I know you can handle this. Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also from CT. I'm so sorry to hear it was your dad's plant. I hope his co-workers are okay. It's a day to count your blessings, no?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so sorry to hear what happened tori! you are amazing for the way you are wanting to handle this. reach out for help when you do feel it is all too much for you! you are not a failure is you do. i am praying for your health and your families

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry tori :( I admire you so much for taking this leap of faith and taking responsibility for your future. I am praying for ya'

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im so sorry, but im glad to hear that your father is alright!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Gasp*
    For a second I thought your father was dead, thank goodness!

    I hope he'll get well very soon. And if he's a little bit like you he'll handle this without a prob ;)

    Sending my prayers to you and your family!
    xoxo
    Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly, I am hugely relieved that your Father is safe.

    I'm sending lots of love and strength in your direction

    (and apologies for not commenting more often)

    ReplyDelete