Thursday, March 4, 2010

How. Why. When.

So on my formspring, I have gotten a lot of questions about how and why I recovered, how I'm doing now, so on and so forth. Given the number of people who seem to be struggling lately, I feel its appropriate to write about how this all went down for me. From the beginning. I actually had to write an essay on my life for sociology last night. When the teacher announced the assignment, I was scared. I looked up at him and said "Our whole lives, or recent?" He looked back at me and said "I want to know every thing about you."
This assignment scared me because, well, the only thing I've known for the past seven years is anorexia. Its only been the past five or six months, maybe less, that I have begun to discover Victoria again. I'm not gonna post the whole thing, just what spurred me into recovery.
"By the time the winter semester of 2008 started, I was about XX pounds, barely able to function. I was so cold all the time. It was unbearable. I remember kids in my classes, particularly the boys, offering to take me out to dinner, saying, “I’ll buy you anything you want but you have to eat ten of it.” I tried to eat more. I tried to get better. But there I was, in the kitchen, pouring Ensure Plus down the drain and replacing it with regular soymilk and water. I was exercising to the point where it became painful. My eyes were rimmed with pink and purple from the exhaustion. I dropped another five pounds or so before my mom approached me about it. She held paperwork in her hand and said to me “Either you check yourself into treatment, or we will take you to court.” I balked, but eventually went through with. At 5’8” and XX pounds, no treatment center on the East Coast was willing to touch me. No one would even let me travel to a place for help because I was so medically unstable. Six hours and twelve hospitals later, I found a medical hospital in New York that had a program for acute cases of eating disorders. It was a pediatric ward, but they took me in anyways. I was there for three weeks and gained all of three pounds, when the expected gain in that time was usually about 15. They deemed me too sick for the facility to manage, said I was too stubborn, too unlikely to recover. I was very sick. I was 19 and my heart was stopping about three times every night in my sleep. Yet, because I was the oldest girl on the ward, and had the least chance of ever recovering after having my ED for five years, they actually took my heart monitor away. The doctors told me I was getting better. I remember parading around the halls; so happy to think I was going to be okay. My nurse took me aside and told me that wasn’t true, and that their reasoning was actually because I was the oldest, so if I died one night – it was something the doctors figured was going to happen anyways. A few days later, I was shipped off to Cornell. I cried. I begged and pleaded not to be sent there. It is one of the strictest wards I have ever been placed in. When I went there, I was no longer made to eat a 3600-calorie diet in 3 meals a day. Instead, they started me off on 1800 calories of Ensure Plus and juice. I lost weight every day for the first week, before they had finally increased my intake enough to make it stop. The doctor there threatened to have me committed to a state institution for two years if I couldn’t start acting like I could care for myself. Even my eating disorder couldn’t tame my smart mouth. I laughed in her face and told her it was their own fault for my weight loss, asked her what in her right mind made her think taking an inpatient that was consuming 3600 calories a day and barely gaining, and giving them 1800 calories in liquids was a smart idea? I spent the next two weeks on bed rest. I didn’t see the sun or smell fresh air for almost a month. I had to ask permission to pee at unscheduled times. I had to measure my own urine every time I went to the bathroom. I showered in a group shower with plastic curtains and supervision. Every minute of every day was monitored. I ended up with every anorexic’s worst nightmare. A 4600 + calorie meal plan just to gain a pound or so every week. It was the hardest thing I had ever experienced. My cups of Ensure Plus were larger than even those of the boys in the program. The nutritionist told me she had never seen a female inpatient require such calories to make such slow gains. In a sick way, I found this knowledge comforting. It lessened my fear, but it also let the thought of how easy it would be lose all the weight grow in my mind. I was there for about two months. When I got to come home, the first thing I did was take a shower in my own bathroom and lie on my own bed. I could barely remember the color of my own bedroom. My blue walls seemed so bright that day. And god, I was so happy.
Unfortunately, even that didn’t last. Within six weeks, I dropped to my all time low. I remember that morning so well. The image of the numbers flashing on the scale may forever be burned into my memory. I stepped on the scale over and over again because I just couldn’t believe it. I had dropped down to XX pounds in six weeks. I was amazed and horrified. I looked at myself in the mirror and for the first time, I saw myself for what I had become. I was literally a shell of a person. Nothing but bones and skin. For the first time, I saw the imminent death lying behind my eyes – tired, weak and lost. I cried. I begged my mom to help me. My insurance refused any further coverage for my anorexia because I was a chronic case and had long since been determined impossible to help. I was 19 and had been handed a death sentence. It was the hardest thing for me to ever say to myself, after so many years wishing for it, but I knew I did not want to die this way. I wasn’t ready. "

When I started my recovery, I didn't believe I would ever truly recover. I always figured I'd get to whatever weight, and still be unhappy. I never though I could get better. But I tried because I wasn't ready to die, and because I finally saw the pain I was putting my family through. My mother cried herself to sleep every single night. I couldn't even close my eyes because I could hear her sobbing, praying through the walls and her asking God to give her the strength to go on. I would hear her pause before opening my door every morning, and say to herself "Please let her wake up." I hated myself for the suffering I caused and I wanted to make it stop. And the only way to do that was for me, myself, to change. I made a choice to endure my eating disorder's wrath, not for my own sake at first, but for my family's. Doing it for someone else made it easier for for me at first. Eating to make my parents happy gave my mind a more tangible reason to do it, and more selfless. As time went on, and my brain became more nourished and my thinking became more clear - I realized I had to recover for ME too or else it would never work. It took about five or six months for me to say that I wanted to recover not just for my family's peace of mind, but for my own desire to live a life beyond anorexia's hold.

I was just as scared and insecure as many of you say you are right now. And I know, it is SO hard to just effin do it like everyone says. I had myself convinced there was so much more to it than that. And emotionally, there totally is. But in terms of the actions one must take, it really is that simple. You don't wait for there to be a better day. You don't wait for your mind to come around, or for your ED to say its OK. Because that day will never come. Believe me, I never felt like eating at first. Even now, I have days where I'm just not very hungry. But I eat anyways, because if I don't the next day will just be that much harder. Sometimes, you have to jump-start yourself in order to get back to where you want to be. In the world of recovery - this means you will be uncomfortable for a few days. It means there will be anxiety, there will be fear, and there will be more calories than you may feel you are capable of dealing with. But you know what? All of those thoughts are created by your ED. You CAN handle eating an extra 200 or 300 calories a day. Its a glass of milk with a slice of toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter for heavensakes. Will your anorexia rise up in anger? Yes. But those feelings stem from your eating disorder being afraid of losing its power over you. When the ED voice is fighting with you the most over what you are doing - that is how you know for sure it is the absolute right thing to do. You can do anything you tell yourself you can. And that is the hardest part - being OK with using your own voice instead of the anorexic one. But no matter how strong your ED is, there is always a glimmer of your real self, under the shadows. You have to listen to that part, even for just a minute every day. And do what YOU know is what you need to do. After the first time, every time after that gets easier and easier. It is totally possible to outsmart and out-do your eating disorder. That's how I made it through.

If I can recover, anyone can. Its all in the first step. You either make it, for whatever the reason, or you don't. After that, all things can become possible. Its been 20 months now since I started recovery. I've got about 4-6 at a reasonable weight for my height. I took it slow, and there is no shame in that. But even when I was taking it slow - I was never stalled. I had a constant momentum, no matter how fast or slow it was, I was always making sure I stayed on the right track. I still am, and I'm still going. And I believe everyone can find their way too. You just have to fight for it, and never let up. Remember, we may not choose to be eating disordered, but we DO chose whether or not we fight. We are not passive victims, we have the ability to overcome our ails.

24 comments:

  1. well this is totally inspiring. you are so brave. thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow tori, what a beautiful and honest post- reading it brought tears to my eyes. Your strength and willpower is incredible, amazing and inspiring- IDK what to say but wow! I wish you all the best, have a lovely day girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so powerful- your story is truly inspiring. You've pulled yourself up from the very bottom and shown that recovery IS possible.
    Thank you girl xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most profound and honest post I have ever read on any blog or in any book. I can't even put into words how inspiring this was. You are absolutely amazing. I appreciate this post so much and am so proud of you. I hope that I will be able to do and say the same things soon. I AM going to be come proactive in my recovery. I am going to choose health.

    Thank you so much!
    Nicole G

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is such an inspiring, moving, and powerful post. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.. i'm so sorry you had reached such a low point in your anorexia. It really gives me hope to know that you were able to pull yourself out of the deepest depths of this disease and work towards recovery. You are sooo strong and inspirational!!
    Keep fighting, you're amazing!
    xoxo
    -A <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful post.

    I really hope that you are studying to be a counselor in school, of some sort. You have a beautiful way of touching people with your words, and I know you could help SO many people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post...my second last post is about my story, thought I should share that for once.

    And you know it already, bit still...you were one of the most important persons to get me into 'real recovery'. Your posts and comments motivated me and showed me what I had to do. Can't thank you enough for that...And I'm so, so glad you're still going strong!

    xxx Julia (Taste of Living)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tori, your story made me cry.
    It's sometimes so hard to believe that there are people out there so strong, so brave, so passionate, when all we seem to see is negativity. But that stems from ourselves.
    Knowing that there truly are people out there; strong, brave, courageous, positive, determined people - people like you - it gives me the strength to battle on.
    The road is certainly hard, tough and long. But you proved to yourself, you proved to your family, you proved to everyone, that that road is possible to walk down.

    Thank you so much for letting us in to your life. You've made such an impact on so many people's lives, and you've made a positive impact on your own life, too.
    My appreciation goes beyond words.

    Love,
    Eleanor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tori, this post was beyond amazing, so so inspiring, honest, and seriously you must write a book!
    every part of this post resonated with me so much. I hope you know how much this helped me...as well as all of your comments and on cc as well, you never fail to help me in some way, even in the past year... so thank you so much for just being there, and caring...i love you.

    okay well, when you said this it really clicked, because as you know, i am not doing too well right now, and not making the changes and steps that i know i must take...well when you wrote, "I took it slow, and there is no shame in that. But even when I was taking it slow - I was never stalled. I had a constant momentum, no matter how fast or slow it was, I was always making sure I stayed on the right track." -- i read your post this morning, and am commenting now at 4:40 pm, because i really have so much to say, yet i cant even put my thoughts into words, becasue this all just really hit come for me, and i know you refered to girls who were struggling and i know i am...this was a wake up call, i knew you took it slow, and for a bit i thought i was just taking it slow, and giving myself a little break to adjust to my newly restored 18-20 lbs gained, but as you know my little break turned into stopping and my ed got more and more scared of moving on and upwards...
    i really know that this isnt a game, nor is it a joke, gosh no... this is life or death, and you told me that in a comment a few days back, at a bmi of where i am now i can still die...i really am going to refer back to this post, tonight, tomorrow, any day, becasue it really was eye opening and inspiring for me to read... you are so strong, and i know you hear that SO much, but really you are just a blessing, and are just such a special person, that is so capable of doing whatever you set your mind to, you are going to go so far in life.

    love you,
    xx
    eliza

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOOOO inspiring. You are amazing, I had such a rough day today... with ED and everything, and I really needed to read that. thank you soooo much

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my goodness. that was so inspiring darling. you should be so proud of yourself for everything you have done <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tori, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It was extremely insipiring, and it has encouraged me alot. :)

    xox rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tori,

    Your story is so inspiring! You are one of the strongest people I have ever met and I am so glad that I have met you :) I know that you have helped me and countless others in our recovery journeys, and I am so thankful of that. you are such a wonderful person and I am blessed to know you!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you posted this- I can't imagine how many people you may have just helped! I can relate to parts of your story so much! I do have a question- how were things at home right before your mom threatened to take you to court, and when you came home for the first time? Were you met with loving, open arms, or a cold reception? Love you lots, and stay strong!
    It's a rough road, but you should be so SO proud of all you have overcome!
    love,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you've been through a lot. I can tell it's made you a very strong person in the end though. You are a survivor in every sense of the word, and I admire your courage!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are such an inspiration tori :). thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  17. you're my hero tori. seriously. reading about you is like reading about my younger and still in some ways more mature myself. I am now on the very beginning of all this, but blogs like yours give me hope. thank you! m.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i feel the same way- very heart felt post. i always say "if i can do it" then ANYBODY can too. it takes a heart and a will to succeed and accept recovery but it is so WORTH DOING!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've followed your blog for quite a long time but have never commented or anything before. and I have to tell you how much you have helped me in my own recovery. So thank you :) And thank you for sharing this. Just thank you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like a 'eat free' card. You beautiful girl, whome i can't wait to finally meat and just hug the crap out of you. I sit here, after having a go at my mother and sister for snacking on chocolate so soon after dinner, after finding out i'm a kg from being clinically "well"(or at the lowest most possible 'anorexic' point of my bmi) and i don't want to eat. And then this. That one word, that one little chesty feeling that moves you so much to say, oh yeah thats right..

    You're awesome little miss.
    And i love you,
    from down here.
    Stack XXX

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so inspiring,
    unfortunatley I have relapsed and am trying to recover again. How do you do it by yourself? (no inpatient treatment)

    ReplyDelete
  22. "When the ED voice is fighting with you the most over what you are doing - that is how you know for sure it is the absolute right thing to do." So so true.

    xo

    ReplyDelete