Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Two Years

Two years and 12 days ago, I got up on a "chilly" June morning, stripped down and stepped on the scale. And for the first time, I was shocked and horrified by the number that wavered before my eyes. So much so that I had to weigh myself another three times to believe it was real. It was on that morning, probably purely from the shock of it, that I saw myself for what I had really become in just two months after a nine-week inpatient stay.

It was on that morning that I realized I was going to die from anorexia sooner than later. I was given the ultimatum - recover, or be put up in a motel room and wait to die.
It took weeks for me to even eat enough to keep a stable weight and process food properly. The first month of my homebound adventure in recovery - I shifted up and down between a three pound gain/loss. I get lots of questions about how I knew what to do or how I ever allowed myself to recover. And to this day, I have no definitive answers. The only thing I could do was to stop thinking about it so much and just eat. And every week, eat more. I stayed on bed rest at home - read numerous books, completed large 1000+ piece puzzles and indulged in Golden Girls reruns. I sat in the sun and drew the flower garden while drinking milkshakes. But still, I didn't start gaining weight til sometime in July and I had gotten up to and over 2500 calories a day. Then my mom returned to work. Being home alone all day was too much for me to bear and I had started taking walks and skipping my morning snack - cutting my calories down to around 2000. After a week or so, I managed to increase back up enough to prevent weight loss, but I was scared of being alone with myself and my eating disorder every day, and I feared continuing to gain weight, alone. I did what I thought was my best for several weeks. I was only XX pounds when I turned 20 years old in October. By November, I had developed stress fractures in my feet just from taking walks to the park and around the neighborhood. During the Thanksgiving Break, I set myself on bed rest again and healed up. With the support of my mom, we increased my calories every day from the end of November through the beginning of December. I had finally gotten up to 2800 calories a day. By the beginning of March, I was consuming 3600 calories a day and had only just gotten up to XX lbs. It took another 11 weeks for me to gain up to a minimal BMI of 16.5. And from that day in April, it has taken me another year solid to gain 8 pounds.

Has it been a long, treacherous road? Yes. Have I had my setbacks? For sure. But in the past two years I have done things I was told I would never do. I turned 21 and am at a mostly-healthy weight (and still aiming on up!). I have eaten pizza and chocolate because I enjoy it. Just the other night, I had Wendy's for dinner after work, sat around a fire and roasted marshmallows with some new friends. And you know what? I had NO FREAKIN IDEA how many calories were in the chicken sandwich I had. I was not aware of, and still do not know, what a serving size of marshmallows is. And I really don't care. And when I came home at 3AM I ate a granola bar because I was hungry. Today, I went shopping with my mom, tried on a dress and LOVED how it showed off my still-blossoming curves, had lunch at Panera Bread and got coffee ice cream for an afternoon snack.

Ever since I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, I have been told that I would never be free from its clutches. I've always been told that my brand of AN was too severe to be treated, that I was too stubborn and too intelligent for any program to be successful. And you know what? They were right. I was stubborn, intelligent and crafty like no other. How many people do you know that can hide an 8oz cup of milk without being noticed? I hated being in treatment. I hated being treated "special" because I was anorexic - like that somehow was the root cause of all my issues and that all of my problems were the trigger for the AN. How does that even work? I don't know. But I could not recover the way they wanted me to. I just can't stand being told what to do (lolz I know!) and even worse - I hate being told that I CAN'T do something. In my head, every time I was told "The next round of this will kill you" - I took it as a challenge instead of a warning. So every year, the weight went lower and lower. I had to make the realization myself for it to become real. I had to do it all by myself to make recovery real. Not everyone is like me though. Some people truly do flourish in an IP environment and find it very comforting and helpful. I found it to be stifling and pressure filled. I did what I had to do for me, for the first time two years ago. It was hard to actually admit that I needed to do something for myself. For me, admitting a need or want or desire is still the hardest thing. But I AM overcoming it, day by day.
So, I guess what I really just wanted to say is - Never let ANYONE tell you something is impossible, or can't be done, or that you are not capable. As long as you stop trying and start doing - you can achieve anything.

16 comments:

  1. wow, thank you so much for sharing. you are so amazing tori and your achievements prove that. keep fighting and doing whatever you can to keep ED out of your life. you deserve to prove everyone wrong, you deserve recovery and it is so obvious that you are on the right path :]
    stay strong! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, inspiring post. You must have a very high metabolism!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u are amazing! thats how i sum u up :-) i luv u

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Post! And I agree, it can be done. I still find it amazing that as I worked to recover, the more I ate, the more my brain joined in. That is, when I began to nourish my mind and my body some of those terrible and seemingly debilitating thoughts were not quite so strong. And while that was hard to deal with at first, eventually it didn't seem quite so bad. Keep working hard and remember to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your achievements are amazing, it must be so great to have the inner strength and knowing that you DID it!! when so many doubted you, even making it in life! Remarkable! and so inspiring as always. I agree, with your outlook on IP, i had similar situations in renfrew, I could not recover the way they wanted me to, i went through the program my own way! I always found a way to do it "my way" while there, and was always told i was needed a higher level than they could offer me. But yet i always stayed, and played my little tricks of hiding milk and dinner rolls in any which way i could manage. When someone tells me negative things, such as i can not do it... blah..like in IP, it feeds into not doing the right thing, and that never gets us anywhere! that's why i also think doing recovery at home has such benefits, you actually feel in control of your life, and your a prime example how possible it is with time, effort and devotion.
    I noticed that you have an encyclopedic memory for past occurrences in your anorexia, I do as well. And my therapist pointed it out to me..asked me why it is that i recall so many nuisances, numbers, dates etc..ect..!? I dont know why? but i thought, why hold on to all those memories? when we can try to think what will be in store for us in 2 years! what great things you will be up to! u know? :) there is no use in always thinking back, the past is in the past and all that matters is that you are headed down such a beautiful path!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tori. You are AMAZING. I get what you mean by each warning becoming a warped challenge to ED...and honestly, I'm just so amazed and inspired that YOU have beaten this thing and come so, so far.

    All my love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you maintain a weight of xx lbs on 2000 calories?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember clearly - as it was yesterday - the first time I read your posts! I immediately went aaaaall the way back to your first post and read them ALL!! You've come such a long way!! You truly are an inspiration!!!
    Celebrate this!!! IT is definitely worth it!! Hug n.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou for such an inspiring post. I love the last two sentences. They can apply to not only recovering from EDs but so many other things in life too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say Tori is wow and congratulations. I can't begin to tell you how inspiring your story is to me, and how much I look up to you because of how much you have accomplished. I just want to jump through this screen and give you a great big hug!!! You are amazing :)

    <3

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is great, tori. i've missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's madness! I maintain on 1000 calories! Such an inspiring read. It will take time, but the battle will ease with time and it will ease with laughter.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great read. I can relate so much to this- thanks for boosting my motivation even more:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so proud of you! You are an amazing girl!!!
    So beautiful and brave!!!!
    XOXO
    B

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kicked a drug addiction, a serious eating disorder and cutting. Nothing is impossible. Stay strong girl....keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there

    I stumbled across your blog tonight. I read this post and want to commend you on your courage for beating your illness and getting to a healthy weight. You are to be congratulated, especially for realising things need to change for you.

    Kind regards

    Carly
    Australia

    ReplyDelete